Centennial Acres History



Sign Up Now


The property on which the first nine holes of Centennial Acres was constructed, was first purchased by Charles Jackson in 1870. He migrated from England to New York and traveled to Michigan by covered wagon. He cleared the land, built a log cabin and proceeded to farm the rolling acres.

Four generations later, Michael Jackson was inspired to turn the 80 acres of farmland into a golf course. In 1971, his father, Leroy, began to work on the Centennial Acres project. They hired Warner Bowen from Sheridan, Michigan to design and engineer the course. A partnership was formed two years later. In the fall of 1976, The Jackson’s incorporated and construction began the following spring.

The first nine holes were opened July 1979 with the remodeled “Buggy Shed” as the clubhouse. The second nine holes was constructed in 1984 and opened in 1986. Through the years the original clubhouse was expanded, then an outside deck was added and eventually a pavilion was built. In 1993 the existing clubhouse was opened with full kitchen facilities and Pro Shop. Eighty acres of farmland connected to the original nine holes was purchased and in 1999 the third nine holes opened for play. Centennial Acres is a 27 hole championship golf course that offers everything for golf.